In 2019, 38.29 million Americans in the United States opted for teeth whiteners. The number is massive when you consider the total population, which is around 300 million. It means roughly 1 in 10 opt for teeth whiteners.
With social media impacting lives in unprecedented ways, appearance has become all the more essential. It is not just about places anymore where you make a conscious effort to impress people like in the office or in front of your date. Thanks to social media, some of us are always in the limelight.
This exposure asks you to be at your best all the time. That is why the demand for teeth whitener is so high. Players involved in this market know well how to cater to this demand. That is evident from the wide range of products available in the market. For such a service, you can consult dentists for teeth whitening in San Antonio.
1. Whitening Toothpaste
Our eating habits affect health in multifarious ways. Of those, the bulging potbelly and the stained teeth are difficult to hide. Changing the toothpaste is an easy solution and it is even easier to get accustomed to it.
- Toothpaste generally carry some abrasives to remove the surface stain
- Some are advanced as they contain polishing or chemical agents that provide additional stain removal power
- Whitening toothpaste come without bleach
- These are effective in reducing stains by one shade
- Whitening products that dentists use often contain carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide that can make your teeth three to eight shades lighter
2. Whitening Strips and Gels
Both these products contain peroxide and their impacts depend on the strength of the peroxide blend. These are over-the-counter products, but effective application depends on whether you apply it following the instruction or not.
- Apply whitening gels with a small brush directly on your teeth
- The impact lasts for around four months. It depends on the strength of peroxide
- Whitening strips are hardly visible and thin, coated with peroxide gel
3. Whitening Rinse
Whitening rinse is now a trend. Its roles as whitener and mouthwash ensure better acceptance. You have to take a sip and rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- It reduces plaque and chances of gum disease
- Contains hydrogen peroxide to whiten teeth
- Takes around 3 months to show definite result
- You have to rinse your mouth with it for approximately 1 minute
- Some studies find it less useful than strips as it stays in contact for a short time. Some find its effect similar to pastes. But they find Crest 3D White mouthrinse (CWR) more effective
4. Rapid Whiteners
These are for times when you need a quick retouch on your teeth. In-office bleaching provides a stark difference in tooth color.
- Effective outcome needs a few sessions
- Takes around 30-60 minutes
- This treatment also includes heat, light, or a laser
- The first session often provide a dramatic change
- It is expensive
5. Tray-Based Teeth Whiteners
This is available as an over-the-counter product. You can also buy it from your dentist.
- The process includes a guard-like tray with a gel whitening solution
- This solution has a peroxide-based gel
- You have to wear it for a specific period of time
- You can wear it while sleeping or at the weekend
- Sometimes it takes a month or longer depending on the stain level
Some Ticks to Follow
Before going for such practices, you have to check a few things first. Teeth whitening products have chemicals that can be detrimental to your health.
- Whitening agents are not recommended for children under 16. These chemicals are harmful to the pulp chamber or tooth nerve. As a result, tooth turns sensitive
- These are also not for pregnant or lactating women
- People with peroxide allergy must avoid these products
- People with sensitive teeth, restoration-related defects, and gum problems can use it after consulting a dentist for teeth whitening in San Antonio
- If you have a cavity then get that treated before using whitening agents
- If the enamel is not in a proper condition or the root of the tooth is exposed, then avoiding such substances will be the right choice. Direct contact between the inner part of a tooth and those chemicals can be harmful
- People, with crowns, fillings, bridges, and others, should avoid it. These manufactured products do not react to whitening substances, which will result in uneven whitening of the teeth
- Sometimes, whiteners increase irritation and make teeth more sensitive. It can also trigger gingival inflammation
- Smoking curbs the impact and aggravates staining procedure
People often decide to go for such treatments after coming under peer pressure for such things. In a hurry, they make the wrong move. It is always better to go for an expert opinion before joining the bandwagon. Using these chemical-rich substances can adversely affect our tooth health as we are often clueless about our exact dental condition. To improve your chances, you can always be in touch with experts of the teeth whitening in San Antonio.