The most common and most common symptom in abdominal pathologies is abdominal pain. But often under the “mask” of abdominal pain, diseases of organs located in the immediate vicinity (for example, the heart or spine) are hidden. As a rule, pain that lasts a short time (a few seconds or a minute) is not a formidable symptom.
In what case is it necessary to consult a doctor if abdominal pain occurs?
- if the duration of the pain is hours or days,
- if the pain is intermittent for more than 3-4 weeks,
- even if not intense pain is accompanied by a decrease in body weight, nausea, heartburn, a violation of the frequency and nature of the stool.
All this is a serious symptom, it is necessary to consult a therapist or a narrow specialist-gastroenterologist as soon as possible, to undergo a medical examination.
Abdominal pain can be due to acid reflux as well. In some cases, it will be silent reflux. If you have silent reflux, then you will not have the symptoms regularly. Whereas, you will have to go through the pain of acid reflux.
Acid reflux or GERD can be triggered by some common foods and fruits as well. Some cases are so severe that even drinking water triggers it. But in the USA region, we mostly hear about avocado acid reflux. Avocado is a very popular fruit there and causes heartburn to many of them.
In what case is urgent medical attention needed:
- Very severe pain that lasts more than two hours.
- Sharp pain accompanied by bleeding from the genital tract or rectal bleeding.
- If the pain is combined with symptoms such as: fever, jaundice, dark urine, vomiting, light pasty or black stools.
What measures should be taken for abdominal pain?
First of all, you need to consult a general practitioner and (or) a gastroenterologist.
For abdominal pain, it is not recommended to take pain relievers, and it is also forbidden to apply a heating pad and use other traditional medicine. You cannot prescribe medications on your own using knowledge, for example, from advertising – this can lead to a deterioration in your health. Elimination of pain, lowering the temperature complicates the diagnosis, and often makes it impossible, which can lead to life-threatening and health complications. In no case should one treat a pain symptom, especially in the abdomen, lightly, because it is in the abdominal cavity that the bulk of the most important human organs is located. A variety of diseases of the endocrine organs, the cardiovascular system, the genitourinary sphere can be accompanied by the onset of pain in the abdomen.
What possible examinations will the doctor suggest to you after the examination?
- Clinical blood test, general urinalysis, biochemical blood test (AST, ALT, ALP, amylase, lipase, C-reactive protein, bilirubin, glucose, GGTP, total protein, creatinine, urea), blood test for tumor markers, coprogram, feces analysis for occult blood, analysis of feces for dysbiosis, analysis of feces for acute intestinal infections, analysis of feces for helminth eggs, blood tests for viral hepatitis, antibodies to helminths, lamblia, ascaris, toxoplasma, cytomegalovirus, etc.
- Ultrasound of the abdominal organs (liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, kidneys), pelvic organs is a simple but effective procedure, thanks to which it is possible to assess the condition of internal organs, as well as to establish their size and other important characteristics.
- Video gastroduodenoscopy (VGDS) is by far the most effective and informative type of research in diseases of the upper gastrointestinal tract. This type of study is prescribed for suspicion of the widest range of diseases: stomach or intestinal ulcers, gastritis, stomach erosion, etc.
- Video colonoscopy ( VCS) is a medical procedure during which an endoscopist examines and evaluates the condition of the inner surface (mucous membrane) of the colon using a special endoscope probe.
- Fluoroscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract is prescribed for suspected peptic ulcer disease, neoplasms of various types, protrusion of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum walls. With the help of radiography, it is possible to assess the shape and size of the stomach and its parts, the position and functional state of the sphincters (circular muscles in the thickness of the stomach wall) and much more.
- Irrigoscopy – X-ray examination of the large intestine with retrograde injection of a radiopaque contrast agent. It is prescribed for the diagnosis of developmental anomalies and intestinal diseases.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the abdominal cavity, computed tomography of the abdominal cavity.
Appropriate examination and diagnosis allows the therapist and (or) gastroenterologist to prescribe adequate treatment for abdominal pain, and the patient to avoid possible complications, unnecessary costs and maintain a good quality of life, and often life itself.