On earth there are discrete varieties of diseases which are not only affecting health but also affecting socially, economically, emotionally and even interpersonally. One such disease is Psoriasis. It is a chronic inflammatory skin and joint disease.
Skin is the largest and whole spread organ on our body, act as shield from outer environment and responsible for touch and feel. Skin has irreplaceable importance for us.
Our skin has several different layers. Outer layer i.e. epidermis is in direct contact to environment which forms new cells from underneath of different layers of skin and cells goes up and gradually and slowly dries and shed . It takes approximately three to four weeks. If this rate of turnover of cells increases then it takes only 3 to 4 days and resulting into fast drying, shedding, inflammation and blood vessel proliferation.
Another hypothesis says that due to over expression of immune system, T- cells become active and triggers epidermal cells and cause inflammation, red or pink leisure on affected area. But the main cause behind this disease is a mystery.
It exhibit bimodal age of disease onset. First, peak at around 20 year and at 60 year. This disease is not infectious and tends to go and come unpredictably. And even not leave a scar on skin, if treated properly.
But exact pathogenic mechanism is not investigated for decade. And its severity varies person to person from mild to moderate to severe. And can be due to outside events like:
- Throat infection
- Various drugs intake
- Seasonal changes
- Frequent smoking
- High intake of alcohol
- Over exposure to sunlight
There are various evidences which show that Psoriasis can be hereditary or genetic disease which involves genes. And the plaques that developed on skin can take up a variety of patterns. Macwin Pharmaceuticals suggested some are as follows:
Chronic stable plaque psoriasis – It is the common pattern of plaque and tend to appear symmetrically. Mostly include knees, elbows, trunk and scalp.
Guttate psoriasis – It is mostly seen in children and initiated by a throat infection. It is usually coin-ashaped but numerous.
Unstable Psoriasis – The leisures are angry looking, intense inflammation, skin becomes red all over.
Pustular Psoriasis – Tiny superficial pustules may occur, mainly affect palm and soles. And this is mainly cause due to over smoking.
Other affected areas:
- Scalp – In this region, Psoriasis rarely extend more than 20 cm beyond the hairlines and it is asymmetrical.
- Nails – 50% people with Psoriasis face inflammation in nails and can easily expose to fungal infection, cause inflammation and pain at fingertips.
- Face – Cause redness and itchiness on the face.
As this disease spread on the surface of skin so easily recognizable and skin biopsy seldom needed.
Psoriasis symptoms can be understood easily. Some symptoms are as follows:
- Leisure on skin – Red or pink leisure can be on particular place or all over the body depending on its severity. Generally leisure’s are covered with silvery-white scale. It can be of different shape and size and having irregular borders.
- Itchiness on the affected area.
- Splits on leisure.
- Pain on the affected area.
- Psoriatic Arthritis – Stiff and painful joints along with psoriasis. Mainly affects fingers, toes, wrists, knees and ankles.
Measures to be taken:
- Educate yourself and others too.
- Try to reduce or stop smoking.
- Stress management.
- If affected, then proper treatment should be done otherwise it can cause heart disease, diabetes, obesity.
- Exercise regularly.
- Balanced diet.
- Frequently measure blood pressure.
If this disease is not taken seriously then it can even affect person’s life style. Immediate treatment is highly recommended.